La Vassalerie, St Andrew, GY6 8X
(Bus route 71 – alight at “Chain House/Underground Hospital”).
(Photo courtesy of German Underground Hospital)
The largest German Occupation construction in the Channel Islands at 7,000 square metres, the underground hospital was hewn out of solid rock by slave workers who had been captured by German forces during during World War Two. It is a complex of underground tunnels that have been left in their original post war condition.
Construction began in the winter of 1940 and was built underground so as not to be seen by overhead planes given that the site was also used as an ammunition store. The hospital is truly an eerie insight into life on the island at the time.